How to Create Free Wordpress Landing Pages without a Plugin
WordPress powers most of the websites on the internet. A staggering 27% of the websites in the world and 56% of the content management system market, in fact. The low-cost and user friendly interface lets webmasters and business owners easily design their own website and publish content for their audiences.
One overlooked benefit to using WordPress is how easy it is for anyone to create landing pages for marketing campaigns. Anyone who uses WordPress can create their own landing pages at zero cost.
If you send visitors to a page dedicated to the campaign - a dedicated landing page - your conversions can increase 5% to 50%.
In this article we'll explain how to create WordPress landing pages at zero cost to increase your conversion rates.
Introduction to Wordpress Landing Pages
In marketing terms, a landing page is a distinct page on your website that’s built for one single conversion objective. A landing page should be designed, written and developed with one business goal in mind.
Landing pages are characterized by a few things:
- A single campaign objective: This could be a free trial sign up, ebook downloading, course subscription, VIP demo, etc.
- Simplicity of message: Deliver exactly what your visitor needs to know and nothing more. Over-stimulating your visitor will just confuse them. Keep it high and tight.
- Obvious conversion goal: A Wordpress landing page should feature what we call a "call-to-action" button prominently. This is the entire focus of the page and should contrast. If the goal of your landing page is hidden in a link within a paragraph, your page won't convert
- Limited links off-page: You want to keep your landing page traffic on-page. This means limited (or no) navigation bar.
Related reading: The Data-Driven Guide to Landing Page Design [Infographic]
A Wordpress Landing Page Example
Let's say you'd just released a new app for your design software. Smart marketers know to give the app its own specific product page. It's has enough selling points to stand on its own.
Here's an example of an Wordpress landing page template for an app (this is the "stock" template you'd start out with):
To Get Started With This Wordpress Landing Page Template, Click Here
Templates like the one above make the creation of a Wordpress landing page super fast and easy. You can simply plug in your own logo, images and info and hit "Publish."
And there are always enough (more than 100) that whatever your needs are, whatever your industry is, you'll be covered:
To get started with the landing page template you see above (the book-focused LP on the right side there, Click Here
How to Create a Wordpress Landing Page without a WordPress Plugin
If you don't have the Wordpress plugin, simply click the "Script" tab and copy the code onto your website page manually (the bottom image above). Duplicate a sales page to begin
Top Tip: To remove your Wordpress navigation bar and other layout and design elements which are already embedded in every Post (all that stuff at the top and bottom bar), add this bit of code:
<script> var wp = jQuery('.wishpond-campaign');
Wordpress Landing Page Best Practices
The templates you saw above already follow Wordpress landing page best practices, but if you want to optimize even further, here are 7 best practices to remember…
- Be sure your call-to-action button contrasts clearly with the design of your page.Avoid paragraphs whenever possible. Use bullet points or columns instead.
- Have a catchy, specific headline which matches the messaging of your traffic source (the ad copy or social media post).
- Use professional images exclusively. Avoid stock photography.
- Remove external linking as much as possible. Any link off-page will lessen your page's focus and decrease conversions.
- Include customer testimonials or positive reviews on applicable pages. This increases trust and conversion rates.
- Remove any form fields (from lead generation pages specifically) that you don't need to convert leads in the future. More fields will just intimidate visitors.
Wrapping it Up
Hopefully this short guide has given you enough of a background in Wordpress landing pages to recognize their importance.
If you have any questions whatsoever, don't hesitate to reach out in the comment section below.
- Landing Pages: The Science Behind Designing for Conversion
- How to Focus your Landing Page on Conversion
- Optimizing your Landing Page Form Fields for Conversion
- 4 Ways to Create Facebook Ad and Landing Page Combos to Maximize Conversions
- 3 Examples of Landing Pages Optimized for Facebook Ad Traffic
Ready to start creating your own Wordpress landing pages? Click here to get started completely free!