75 Ecommerce A/B Testing Ideas (With Examples)
Are you looking to make more money online?
One of the quickest and easiest ways is through A/B testing.
There are so many different changes you can make to your website to increase the chance of someone completing a purchase, but getting inspiration can be exhausting.
For this article, I've done the work for you. I've scoured the web for all the little differences between ecommerce websites and buying processes.
Here are 75 a/b testing ideas (with real-world examples) for your ecommerce business.
Use this table of contents to see a/b test ideas for specific parts of your website:
Want to keep this resource for reference? To download this list as a free PDF, click here.
A/B Test Ideas for your Whole Website
- Test featuring your promotions and sales in your nav bar as a tab.
- Test a segmented product dropdown in your nav bar, like this:
- Test the cart icon design in your nav.
- Test adding a search bar in your nav, like this:
- Test currency personalization based on IP address.
- Test what you show/how you prioritize on mobile or tablet view vs desktop, like this:
- Test a hello bar with a discount code, BOGO promotion, or free shipping, like this:
- Test a hello bar with discount code for visitors who opt in.
- Test a "your cart is empty" hello bar, like this:
- Test a first-time-visitor promotion (shown on an entry popup or welcome mat).
- Test adding an email opt-in form to your footer, like this:
- Test adding a trust symbol to your footer, like this:
What you see on desktop:
What you see on mobile:
A/B Test Ideas for your Homepage
- Test featured product(s) at the top of your homepage, like this:
- Test a video or gif in your header vs a static image.
- Test immediate segmentation of visitors into male and female, like this:
- Test a featured promotion at the top of your homepage.
- Test large image links to product categories, like this:
- Test displaying vs hiding links to your "About Us" page (or other non-sales pages).
- Test linking to PR write-ups and reviews, like this:
- Test adding an entry popup or welcome mat giving a discount in exchange for contact information, like this:
- Test limited-time gift-guide displays, like this:
- Test a search bar at the bottom of your homepage, like this:
A/B Test Ideas for your Product Directory
- Test sidebar product categorization, like this:
- Test sidebar price categorization.
- Test a clickable product image vs a button beneath each product image.
- Test product display options, like this:
- Test the amount of description you have for each product.
- Test having a lightbox or click popup instead of an individual product page, like this:
- Test a lightbox product preview ("Quick Look"), like this:
- Test social share buttons within the product lightbox or on the product page, like this:
- Test showing ratings beneath each product.
- Test featuring product discounts, like this:
A/B Test Ideas for your Product Pages
- Test the format of description (paragraph vs bullet-point), like this:
- Test the amount of description you include.
- Test a tab feature (to avoid overwhelming people), like this:
- Test adding (or the number of) featured reviews, and whether or not you include names, faces, etc, of reviewers.
- Test star ratings vs numbered ratings.
- Test adding trust symbols.
- Test featuring methods of payment.
- Test adding a favoriting function (with account creation), like this:
- Test your call-to-action/purchase copy.
- Test two buttons after a product is added to cart: "Head to Checkout" and "Continue Browsing."
- Test adding a countdown timer on discounted products.
- Test images: carousel vs single image vs gallery vs lightbox vs 360 view.
- Test adding a zoom function to your product images, like this:
- Test adding size charts.
- Test having a model vs no model in your product images. Alternatively, test "product in use" images vs product only.
- Test "More products you might like" section, like this:
- Test "limited availability" copy, like this:
- Test how you display the price: size, color, font, etc.
- Test displayed price with shipping included or without.
- Test adding a value-add to all product pages, like this:
To learn more about how you can optimize your product page, check out our complete guide in "How to Get More Sales from your Ecommerce Product Page."
A/B Test Ideas for your Search Function
- Test the placement of your search bar.
- Test the prominence (size) of search bar.
- Test having an advanced search option.
- Test category prompts, like this:
- Test adding a dropdown from the search box to prompt categories, like this:
- Test product images in search results.
- Test level of detail in results.
- Test slide-in search function (overlay), like this:
- Test product recommendations in search results.
- Test number of displayed search results.
- Test how you give the option to view more search results, like this:
A/B Test Ideas for your Checkout Page/Process
- Test "Buy it Now" vs "Add to Cart" options, like this:
- Test requiring email address/account creation.
- Test displaying all payment options, like this:
- Test showing value-adds like free shipping, like this:
- Test multi-page checkout vs one long page.
- Test a "you've added to your shopping cart" footer, like this:
- Test a simplified form display, like this:
- Test adding a Paypal payment option (log in for easy checkout), like this:
- Test displaying full price on checkout vs hiding full price.
- Test "Remember me" function at checkout to make returning easier.
- Test adding an option to choose "Same as shipping address" during billing form, like this:
- Test displaying billing before shipping, or visa versa.
I hope you find a few a/b test ideas here you like the look of.
And let me know if you've tried any of these tests before, and how they went!
Want some help running these tests?
Speak to a Wishpond marketing expert today about your business goals and how you can optimize your website.
- 50 A/B Split Test Conversion Optimization Case Studies
- 5 "Big Money" A/B Tests that will Actually Touch your Bottom Line
- 10 Ecommerce Marketing Experts Share Their Top Growth Strategy
- The Ecommerce Guide to Online Marketing: How to Drive Traffic, Get More Sales, and Keep your Customers Coming Back
- 30 Reliable Ecommerce Marketing Strategies (With Real-World Examples)